Friday, June 29, 2007

Scamtards

Hello visitor,

Welcome to Scamtards. I started this blog to inform and educate users about the scammers and fraud scum out there. I thought of "scamtards" as an easy to remember blog name. Scamtards is derived from "frigtards", a term coined by the Fake Steve Jobs blog.

Many people use Craigslist and Ebay to buy-sell everyday. Unfortunately there are scammers who have nothing better to do with their lives. Instead of improving their lives and minding their own business, they have to scam innocent buyers and sellers.

Another unfortunate thing is the people who fall for these scams are usually very trusting people, or maybe new users to Craigslist or ebay. I think of myself as pretty street smart, so I get alarm bells when I sense something funny from a scammer's email.

The scamtards out there seem to be profiting from bringing pain to others. There are many people who fall for the Nigerian scams every year. Many are too embarrassed to tell authorities or friends that they have been scammed. Many ebay sellers never get paid. Many ebay buyers never receive the merchandise. On and on.

So I want to make this site a resource. So potential victims can step back, and not fall into a trap. Education I believe is a good start. I also hope to inform about the useful ways to do something about it.

No comments: